Our Matching Cat Costumes!

sewing-cat-costumes

This year, for the first year, I made our Halloween costumes!  When I asked my son what he wanted to be for Halloween, he said, “A cat.  And you can be the mama cat.”  After searching in stores and on the internet, and only finding… hmm…  “inappropriate” costume cat options, especially for women… the only option left was to make our own.  This way, I can make sure that we absolutely match, just like Logan wanted for us.

I actually didn’t know where to begin.  First of all, I’ve never sewn clothes before.  Ever.  And to start with sewing an entire full-body costume (two of them!), it felt intimidating!  But anything for Logan – I was up for the challenge!

sewing cat costumes, halloween costumes, diy cat costume, mother and son matching costumes, diy grey cat costume, mcCalls patterns M6106, halloween sewing projects, mother and child halloween costume, cute kitty costumes

My first stop was Hobby Lobby (of course).  They didn’t have the fluffy cat fur fabric that I envisioned, but I did find the perfect amazing sewing pattern.  It’s McCall’s Pattern M6106, a sewing pattern for a cat costume!  I excitedly purchased two in our sizes!  Next stop was Jo-ann Fabric for furry cat fabric!  They only had 75% of the length we needed but I bought it anyway, not knowing if I could find more.  It later took me additional trips to FOUR different Jo-Ann’s to find the remaining 25% of fabric I needed to complete my costume!  We were so close to having the cutest matching costumes ever!  I couldn’t give up.  I finally found more of the same fabric at a Jo-Ann’s 50 miles from home!  You can call me crazy to drive so far, I know.  But it was worth all the time and money to create these cute memories for us and we have the photos to prove it!

sewing cat costumes, halloween costumes, diy cat costume, mother and son matching costumes, diy grey cat costume, mcCalls patterns M6106, halloween sewing projects, mother and child halloween costume, cute kitty costumes

These photos were taken by my talented fellow crafter & photographer friend, Vanessa.  When she gets her own photo watermarks (better get on this, Vanessa!), I’ll take mine off.  I like how these photos make him look like my perfect little 3-year old again.  So little and cute and playful.  He’s 6 now.  I hate that he has to grow up.  But I love that he still wants to wear matching costumes with his mom.  It’s so sweet!

sewing-cat-costume

I love this shot too.  Our little ears standing straight up and our little tails hanging off the rock.

The sewing process took a few days but the cleaning process, has taken weeks!  Something you may not know about sewing with fluffy fabric – the fluff NEVER goes away!  I’ve vacuumed my heart out in all corners of my sewing room, and the fluff keeps appearing in random places!  Yesterday, I changed my bobbin and as soon as I opened the bobbin door, fluff shot out from it!  I’ve even found it just stuck to the baby’s face somehow!  And it’s been at least a couple weeks since I finished this project!  Even still… worth everything and I can’t wait to do it again next year.

Hope you all had a lovely Halloween!

Susie  😊💕

Your email is never published or shared.